For staying in power through appeasement of minorities, UPA government has applied Religion based preferential treatment in Education. This divisive policy has violated the principle of ‘Equal Opportunity’ in Education.
The glaring disparities are summarized below:-
1. Scheduled cast students, irrespective of their family income, have been receiving a meager annual lump sum grant at the rate of Rs.140/- for lower primary level, Rs.220/- for upper primary level, and Rs.330/- for the high school level.
2. Non SC/ST/BC children do not get any thing even if their family income is below poverty line.
3. In contrast the as per newly introduced plan of scholarships for minorities two students per minority family having income up to Rs One lakh per annum, shall be paid Rs.10, 000/- per year for each student. They have to possess an income certificate issued by Village Panchayat or similar source to support their claim.
4. Girls from minorities are entitled scholarship of Rs.3000/- at degree level, Rs.4000/- at post graduate level and Rs.5000/- for professional courses. In addition, they shall also receive stipend while preparing for competitive exams. No such facility is provided to girls from majority community.
5. In case of higher education for MBBS, PG and Research, The SC/ST students must get 60% marks and are allowed only Rs. 3960 per year (Rs 330/ per month). But by scoring only 50 percent marks at the degree level religion based minorities PG students get Rs 6550/ per year and the M.Phil, Ph. D, students get Rs 35,100 on yearly basis.
6. Non-minority students are subjected to additional discrimination while securing loans. They get loans at interest rates 12 to 14 percent, whereas minorities get loan at 3 percent per annum from the National Minority Development & Finance Corporation under the Union Ministry of Finance.
7. For starting a new business a young man from majority community may get loans from commercial banks at 15 to 18 percent interest rates, provided he is in position to arrange15 to 40 percent of the project cost from their private sources as ‘margin money.’ In contrast the minority youth have to put in only 5 percent as margin money and remaining 35 percent is advanced by the National Minority Development & Finance Corporation at 3 percent interest. Remaining 60 percent of finance is given by commercial banks at reduced rates of interest when compared to others.
8. By recognizing Madrassa certificates at par with the CBSE and the SSLC the UPA government has given a death blow to inculcating a scientific temper and unity of the country since it will promote a two society mindset.
This an open secret that minorities receive vast sums of money from abroad which are spent on building thousands of Mosques and Churches and engineering conversions. Such funds should have been utilized for improving education in these communities rather than penalizing the tax payers for subsidizing the educational projects for these communities.
If Congress was sincere in uplifting the educational facilities, then education should have been made available at nominal cost for all irrespective of religious and caste discriminations. Cost of books, stationary, fees and other educational necessities ought to have been reduced or subsidized for all long ago. For making up for the short fall educational loans should be available at nominal interest to all citizens.
It is unfortunate that for electoral gains Congress government has now divided poor Indian students into three categories:-
Preferred religious minorities with high financial assistance;
SCs and STs on a lower level; and,
Total exclusion of students from poor families of majority community.
The educated voters cannot and should not escape their responsibility to oppose this discriminatory act it and take it to a logical conclusion. Only a strong public reaction will stop today’s bogus secularists. The youth, particularly the College students who have the idealism, energy, maturity and drive for furthering the national cause should whole heartedly defeat the politicians responsible for such selfish and sister acts